Akshay Kumar Biography
Akshay Kumar was born on 9 September 1967 (age 55 years; as of 2023) in Amritsar, Punjab, India. He was educated at Don Bosco High School, Mirik, Darjeeling; around the same time, he started learning Karate. Since childhood, Akshay was interested in sports and martial arts. He was raised in Old Delhi and then relocated to Koliwada in Mumbai. Later, he took admission in Guru Nanak Khalsa College (King’s Circle) Mumbai but dropped out of college as he was poor in studies.
He moved to Bangkok and learned martial arts there. He is a Black Belt in Taekwondo and has also learned Muay Thai (Thai Boxing). While in Bangkok, Akshay worked as a chef and a waiter. On returning to Mumbai, Akshay worked as a peon for a travel organisation in Kolkata and became an instructor of martial arts. Akshay was suggested to take up modelling by one of his students because of his good looks and dashing personality. He began his career in the glamour world with modelling assignments. Once successful in modelling, Akshay changed his name from Rajeev Om Bhatia to Akshay Kumar, which was the stage name of an actor opposite to his favorite actress in a movie. He even worked as a background dancer in various films and ultimately stepped into Bollywood making his debut appearance on-screen in 1991 with the movie Saugandh. In 1992. he played the lead in the movie Deedar. Since then, there has been no looking back for him.
Akshay Kumar Wiki Profile
|Nickname||Akki, Raju, Mac and Khiladi Kumar|
|Age||55 years old (in 2023)|
|Date of Birth||September 9, 1967|
|Full Name||Rajiv Hari Om Bhatia|
|Birthplace||Amritsar, Punjab, India|
Height, Weight & Physical Stats
|Body Measurements||42-34-16 inches|
|Height||5 feet 11 inches (1.80 m)|
|Weight||80 kg (176 lbs)|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Shoe Size||10 (US)|
Family and Relatives
|Father||Late Hari Om Bhatia|
|Hobbies||Collecting posters of old Bollywood movies, cooking, martial arts, playing volleyball and cricket|
Akshay Kumar Education
|College/ University||Guru Nanak Khalsa College (King’s Circle) Mumbai|
|School||Don Bosco High School, Mirik, Darjeeling|
Akshay Kumar Career
After doing a few modelling assignments, Akshay tried his luck in Bollywood through the 1991 movie ‘Saugandh’ and later appeared in ‘Dancer,’ ‘Mr Bond,’ ‘James Bond,’ ‘Deedar;’ he got his big break with the 1992 movie ‘Khiladi.’ It was reported that Akshay’s fate took a drastic change when he missed a flight wherein he was to be present for a modelling assignment. Depressed over missing his flight, he approached various studios with his portfolio in search of a job; it was that Pramod Chakraborty noticed him and signed him up for ‘Deedar’ (1992).
Though Akshay’s previous movies didn’t perform well at the box office, he got attention for his dance and stunts; soon, he started getting offers for action movies. ‘Yeh Dellagi’ which released in 1994 made him a top league actor of that time. With a series of his action performances and successful Khiladi movies such as ‘Main Khiladi Tu Anari’ (1994), ‘Sabse Bada Khiladi’ (1995), ‘Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi,’ Akshay got his name “Bollywood Khiladi” and “Action Hero”. With his 2000’s blockbuster hit ‘Hera Pheri’ alongside Paresh Rawal and Sunil Shetty, Akshay marked his entry into comic roles as well. He also starred in the sequel of Heri Pheri, with the comedy hero tag.
Akshay Kumar Awards/Honours
- In 2002, Akshay won the Best Villian in Filmfare Awards, IIFA Best Villian Award in IIFA Awards for his film ‘Ajnabee.’
- In 2003, Akshay was awarded as Celebrity Style Male in Bollywood Fashion Awards.
- In 2005, he was rewarded IIFA Best Comedian Award in IIFA Awards for his film ‘Mujse Shadi Karogi.’
- In 2006, Akshay was bestowed Best Comedian in Filmfare Awards and Best Comic Performance in Bollywood People’s Choice Awards for his film ‘Garam Masala.’
- In 2009, he was acclaimed Best Actor in Screen Awards for the film ‘Singh is Kinng.’
- In 2009, he was bestowed “Padma Shri” by the Government of India.
- In 2010, Akshay was rewarded Best Actor-Popular Award-Male, Best Actor-Searchlight Award-Male for his films ‘Blue’ and ‘8X10 Tasveer.’
- In 2011, he achieved Star of the Year- Male, Best Actor in a Comedy or Romance in Stardust Awards for his film ‘Housefull.’
- In 2012, he won Best Actor in a Comedy or Romance in Stardust Awards for his film ‘Desi Boyz.’
- In 2013, he was rewarded Star of the Year – Male in Stardust Awards for his films ‘Housefull 2’, ‘Rowdy Rathore’ and ‘OMG: Oh My God!’
- In 2013, he was acclaimed Best Actor in Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Awards for his film ‘Rowdy Rathore.’
- In 2014, Akshay was rewarded Box Office 1000 Crore Club Hero in Star Box Office India Awards.
- In 2015, he won Special Award in Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards for completing 25 years in the Industry.
- In 2016, he achieved Star of the Year-Male in Stardust Awards for his film ‘Baby.’
- In 2017, Akshay received Best Actor in National Film Awards for his film ‘Rustom.’
More read: Amitabh Bachchan Biography
Aishwarya Rai biography in Hindi
Akshay Kumar Favourites
- Akshay likes to eat Thai Green Chicken Curry, Home Made Punjabi Food, and Chinese cuisine.
- He likes Non-Vegetarian food.
- His favourite dessert is Indian Sweets.
- He admires Amitabh Bachchan and Jackie Chan.
- He is a fan of Sridevi and Kareena Kapoor.
- He loves watching the Oscar-winning Italian movie – Life is beautiful.
- He prefers Cool Waters perfume.
- His choice of colour is Black.
- His favourite destination is Mauritius.
- He likes Listening to Music, Rock Climbing, Swimming.
Akshay Kumar Net Worth, Salary & Houses
He charges approximately Rs. 25 crores per film. In 2019, he was placed at 4th on the Forbes list of the 10 highest-paid actors (he collected $65 million, which equals to Rs. 466 crores; between 1 June 2018 and 1 June 2019). His Net Worth is relatively Rs. 980 crore. He has a sea-facing duplex in Mumbai. In January 2022, he owned a flat worth Rs. 7.8 crore on the 19th floor of a high rise in Mumbai’s Khar West area.
Akshay Kumar Facts
- While in Bangkok, Akshay worked at a restaurant named Metro Guest House with an initial salary of ₹1,500.
- He began his training in martial arts when he was in the 8th standard.
- Akshay is never seen partying late nights neither does he smoke or drink alcohol.
- During the initial phase of his career, Akshay shot a portfolio at a bungalow in Juhu, Mumbai, which he owns now.
- Akshay was hospitalized during the shoot of the film “Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi” when he lifted Brian Lee who weighed around 350 pounds, causing severe back pain.
- He criticized his own film Phir Hera Pheri which was the sequel of Hera Pheri as big nonsense, though the film was a blockbuster hit.
- Akshay does not like to be categorised as an ‘action’ or a ‘comedy’ hero.
- During his struggling days, Akshay went for an audition in Rajesh Khanna’s film “Jai Shiv Shankar” and waited at the sets for around 4 hours, but neither was he auditioned nor was he able to meet Rajesh Khanna.